Posted by: Karen | May 18, 2010

A Swim, Some Cheer, and a Trail Run

Little Runner was off at grandparents for the weekend, so I was free to do my own thing. I started off Saturday morning with a 45 minute swim at the local pool. I had not done any lane swimming for at least a few months, and it felt sooooo good to just quietly glide back and forth. I did not think much about my breathing, just mostly concentrated on overall form and rhythm. I wasn’t sure how long I could swim, but ended up with a very satisfactory 45 minutes, with few breaks. I have not been swimming much lately, but apparently the bike rides are keeping my fitness level up.

The rest of Saturday I puttered around on errands; recycling, grocery shopping, updating my car registration and license, housework. I cooked up a big pot of chili and had some friends over for a surprise party. The surprise worked, and we even got to play a fun game of Settlers of Catan that lasted almost until midnight.

Sunday morning I was up early again. I drove to the University and snuck into the back of the pre-race orientation meeting for the UCTC super-sprint triathlon. I wasn’t registered to race or volunteer, but it was Dawn’s first triathlon and I was there to cheer her on. I brought my camera and snapped a few photos throughout her race, in between whoops of encouragement. In between Dawn’s loops past transition I chatted with others I knew from a couple of running groups. Dawn did better than she expected, and finished with a huge smile.

I had dressed in running gear under my street clothes, so once Dawn was done I headed over to a dirt trail west of Valley Ridge. A running buddy had told me about this route, and I was delighted to explore new terrain with a friend. We covered about 12 km, mostly running, but with some hiking and a couple of rests to admire the scenery.  The path we followed overlooked Bearspaw Dam and the water-side community of Emerald Bay. It was a beautiful summer day, and leaves were just starting to pop open. I spotted buffalo bean wild flowers and even a few late prairie crocuses.

At one point we wondered where a certain dirt road led, and followed it up a hill to a locked gate.  On the other side of the gate there was a sign telling us what we had been running through:


Ut oh. The sign looked pretty old. We decided that the guard dogs had likely died off by now, took a couple of photos, and headed back down to do some more exploring. It was an awesome trail to run. I look forward to doing that again.

After the run I treated myself to a fudgesicle on the way home. I showered and dropped by to visit with my son before heading over to the grandparents to pick up Little Runner over dinner. After that I likely should have crashed into bed early, but instead stayed up to watch the Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains Finale. It was well worth staying up late, but oh, now I need to catch up on sleep. It was a great weekend.



%d bloggers like this: