Last night was perfect running weather. It was just above freezing with a fresh breeze and misty precipitation that couldn’t decide whether it was rain or snow.
Not your idea of perfect?
Hey, any run when I don’t have to…
- vaseline around my eyes to prevent the skin from freeze drying
- balance over re-frozen slush
- suffer the ache of extremities slowly losing feeling
- wonder why I didn’t bring my snowshoes
- carry rocks in my pockets so I don’t get blown off course
…is close enough to perfect for me.
I ran with Kelly from Gord’s Store. Kelly normally runs faster than me, but has a very encouraging way of hanging back when I’m the only slowpoke to show up. We had nice little chats when I wasn’t sucking wind and wondering how much fitness I’ve lost over the last couple of months of slacking off.
We ran down the Center Street bridge and along the riverside pathways. The mist softly settled luscious little droplets on my glasses and face. I splashed in a few puddles and didn’t miss my boring old couch at all.